I put in the fence almost as planned (see the last post here).
First, I dug a trench around the perimeter of the garden. Then I pounded U poles into the bottom of the trench using a rubber mallet. It wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be.
I attached one end of the 1/4″ opening wire mesh fence to the first pole. The bottom edge of the fencing was below ground level so that varmints won’t dig under it. It had been recommended to flare the bottom out, but I didn’t have wire cutters to make the necessary cuts at the corners. The only attachment wire I had on hand was some crafting wire I had used to make Christmas ornaments, and the gauge was rather flimsy–but it held. I wrapped the fencing around the outside of the garden, attaching it to each pole. Then I filled in the trench, burying the bottom edge of the fence.
The last decision to make was concerning a gate. Most of the other gardeners prop up a piece of plywood at the opening, and remove it when they want to enter the garden. But I don’t have any plywood available, so I used part of the Gardener’s Supply Company’s plastic mesh fence kit as my “gate.” It is really easy to install; you just pound in the poles and use the included clips to attach the green plastic mesh to them.
If I really need to roll in a wheelbarrow, I can take that part down. But to enter the garden myself, I have been just stepping over the 2-foot fence.
Now to (finally!) start planting!